Thursday, March 27, 2014

March 28th sketch for SOUS

Welcome to another sketch challenge at SOUS. Hope you have been playing along with us and hope you will play with us this time. When I initially started playing along sketch challenges, I used to stick to the sketch exactly to the very last detail. But as time has passed, I have learnt to look at the sketch to get the essence of it and interpret it fit my photos or my ideas.
When I saw the sketch for this challenge, I knew that I wanted to do something special with the banners. I hardly ever use banners on any project. This might be only the third time that I am using a banner on my layout. I found the perfect cut file at Studio Calico to create my banner. I have linked the source in the supplies list below.


I didn't stick to the sketch a 100% this time. I changed out the size of my photos and I interpreted the the long banner on the right in my own way. But when you look at the layout, the overall essence of the sketch shines through.

Before I dive into the details of the layout, I want to mention that I am taking the Color Studio class at Studio Calico. If you have read any of my previous posts, you will see the layouts that I have made using the concepts learnt from this class. Here is the image of a color wheel that I found on pinterest. I like how it shows the cool and the warm colors.


You can find the link to this pin here. For my layout I used analogous colors(colors adjacent to each other on the color wheel) - blue, green and yellow. I have a lot of white too but that is my neutral color. I made a layout using analogous colors before but stayed on the cool side of the color wheel. You can see that layout here. This time by using yellow on this layout along with blue and green, I transitioned over from the cool to warm side. So I ended up having a little more contrast in the final result. 

Below is a close up of the banner. I cut it out with white cardstock and backed it with some patterned paper that seemed to go with the colors in the photos - yellow, green and blue. I then glued the top down and stitched across. This raised them a little bit and it truly looks like a hanging banner. I also added strips of vellum to the tops of the photos to dumb down the colors in the photos and let the banner pop a little more.


Below is my complete layout. I used two 4x6 photos and one 4x8 photos. I use Photoshop Lightroom to edit and print my photos. I print them at home with a HP officejet pro 8600. I keep running out of ink but I take my cartridges to costco and get them refilled. It is most definitely cheaper than buying new cartridges. Printing at home is expensive but I couldn't live without the convenience to print at my finger tips.


These are photos of my boys driving these jeeps at the lemon festival. We have it once a year here. The kids had a total blast horse riding, car racing, being bounced around in water in these huge balls, jumpee houses and many more activities.
Below is a close up of the journaling. I am loving these chipboard stars from Studio Calico.


Play along and you will be eligible for the monthly draw of the prize at SOUS. Check out the SOUS blog for more details about the dates and the prizes.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!
~Neela

SUPPLIES LIST:


No comments :