Monday, February 24, 2014

What do you do with feathers?

I have seen feathers being used beautifully on layouts as embellishments. Till I got this feather paper from October Afternoon in my Copper Mountain Kit from Studio Calico, I didn't own any sort of feather embellishments. A few weeks back during one of our trips to the beach, Surya found a feather and he was running up to me to show me and of course, guess what, I clicked a whole bunch of pictures with my iPhone and I knew exactly which paper I was going to use to scrap these photos. I know, scrapbooker mentalilty.... totally. 


I loved the beautiful colors on the paper. I cut out some feathers from the paper and started thinking how I should use them. I then remembered that some of my friends when we were kids, would make books with feathers stuck in them. I owned a feather or two over my lifetime but never really collected a whole bunch. But I took the inspiration from those books to make this layout. 

I divided up my layout into a grid and kept sections for photos, for embellishments, for title, for journaling and most importantly for the feathers. The background paper coordinated really well with Surya's shirt. I got this Studio Calico paper in my Sugar Rush kit.
For the base of the grid, I started off with water color paper. I painted some pink and blue colors on to it to go with my photos and colors of the feathers.
I then used a thin strip of gold striped washi tape to make the grid. I got this washi tape in my December Daily kit from Studio Calico. The alphabet stickers I used for my title are also from October Afternoon - Daily Flash.


I typed my journaling on vellum and stitched along the edges with pink and blue thread. I love enamel dots. I love the pop color they add to a page and also I like the texture they add to a page. I used enamel dots from MME and twine and ink for some fun along the edges of the photos and the edges of the layout.


I totally enjoyed making this layout. I know more pink for a boy's layout. But what to do, there are such beautiful pink products around, I just can't help myself.
Have a great day and thank you so much for stopping by!
~Neela

No comments :