Thursday, February 27, 2014

Feb 28th sketch for SOUS

Hi everyone, happy Friday. Hope you are all set for the weekend to begin. Well, here is a sketch from SOUS for inspiration if you want to keep yourself busy for the weekend. It is a fun sketch. I sure had fun using it for my inspiration.


Here is my take on it. I ended up making the top right and bottom left corners the same size. I first used my hexagon mask from Studio Calico and got out my water colors. I first wanted to just spray some mists but I am happy that I changed my decision. I like the ombre effect on the hexagons that I could create with the water colors. I had a little more control on how I wanted the hexagons to look like. I then stuck the sunburst washi tape that I got in my Studio Calico Sugar Rush kit to ground the photo and the title blocks. I then used the Dear Lizzy Polka dot party frames to frame the photo, journaling and title. I got out my ever dependable stickers from Maggie Holmes Crate paper collection to embellish both the blocks. I then stuck these plastic hearts at the bottom of the photo block and the journaling block. I added my enamel dots to go with the colors in the sunburst washi and the hot pink in the stickers. After the whole project was done, I still felt that something was missing, I had backed the photo and the journaling block with a blue patterned paper and felt as if there wasn't enough blue. So I found these beautiful blue sequins in my December Daily class kit. They were a perfect match. I added them to a few of the hexagons just to get the blue in and add a little more texture.

The photo I used for this project is of my little one being a busy bee at the beach. It is as if he has so much work to do when we are at the beach. This photo was taken outside our rental house during our vacation in Hawaii last December. It was so cool to just walk out of the house and on to the beach. The kids had such a blast.
Here is a closer look at the ombre effect created by the water colors:

Here a closer look at the journaling block:

Hope you enjoyed looking at the project and hope I have inspired you in some way. Make sure to add some journaling to your projects so that you can remember the details later. Try to use water colors, they are super fun to use. I plan on using more and more of them. 
Play along the sketch contest and you will be entered to win a fun prize from our February sponsor Scraps of Darkness. You can find more details on the SOUS blog.
Have a wonderful day!
~Neela

P.S. I am excited to add the Supply List feature to my blog. This way, you can see where I get all my supplies and get a visual of the supplies used. Hope you find this useful. I always found it useful when I came across it on other blogs.
SUPPLY LIST

No comments :